Montague Fisher took his first steps towards the future in the late 1940s, moving the focus of his Birkenhead business from pharmaceuticals to photography. Fisher Audio Visual’s reputation for innovation traces its roots back to this shop, where the company installed the UK’s first-ever automatic vending machine for black and white film.
Montague Fisher swiftly became synonymous with the photographic industry, successfully expanding into further shops in Liverpool (1955) and Chester (1964). The firm’s first audio visual division opened in Birkenhead in 1963, driven by demand from the educational and commercial sector for training and sales projection equipment. Big names in those days included Bell & Howell and Rank Aldis, rather than Sony and Panasonic.
Recognising the potential of this up-and-coming market, in 1971 the company decided to focus entirely on the audio visual industry, at a time when even the term “audio visual” was little-known. Since then, the company has grown massively, expanding into new, larger premises across the North West, establishing bustling headquarters in Manchester and extending services to organisations and venues across Manchester, Cheshire, Liverpool, the UK and overseas.